*   Since they _are_ different, depending of the 'Ignore format', why would
one expect to behave the same? That does of course not mean, that there are no
errors in the code.

That is reasonable.

  *   If you check "Ignore format", the searching is done on text which would
be exported as normal text. The other case is searching on text which would be
suitable as input for latex.

This explanation is not very clear. In a text document, I checked “Ignore
format”, and when searching, LyX found none of the expressions I searched for
[replace $p$ by $\mathfrak{p}$]. When I unchecked “Ignore format”, LyX worked
as expected.

[Still, it is not clear what is meant by “format”.]

Next, I tested this on a much longer document (close to 700 pages). With
unchecking “Ignore format” and searching for $\cal{M}$, LyX skipped this LaTeX
code in a table at the beginning of the document (a “nomenclature” table), but
found this code in a paragraph in the middle of the document – and also found
several subsequent occurrences.

Finally, I searched for the same LaTeX string [$\cal{M}$], but this time with
*checked* “Ignore format”. Contrary to in the test document (searching for
$p$), this time, LyX found at least one occurrence – but not the first one
found with unchecked “Ignore format”.
--
To summarize:

  *   Searching for $\cal{M}$ in *math*, and with unchecked “Ignore format” did
not find occurrences in table cells, but hopefully found occurrences in text
flows.
  *   With checked “Ignore format”, LyX sometimes found LaTeX math code, and
sometimes not.

-B

> ...also... finds different symbols depending on whether I check "Ignore
> format" or not...
>
> This makes me doubht whether I can trust the search-replace functionality in
> my 600+ page lecture notes...

Since they _are_ different, depending of the 'Ignore format', why would one
expect
to behave the same?
That does of course not mean, that there are no errors in the code.

If you check "Ignore format", the searching is done on text which would be
exported as
normal text.
The other case is searching on text which would be suitable as input for latex.

           Kornel