On 11/12/18 7:52 AM, Baris Erkus wrote:

The external graphics is in PDF, which is attached to the original
e-mail; it was generated in Tikz, so it is a vector graphics. No
question about it.  When inserted into LyX, maybe LyX creates a
temporary bitmap or PNG file to show to the user, I am not sure.

I opened the PDF file in both ImageMagick and IrfanView and inspected the image properties. IrfanView reports it as 96x96 DPI, 474 x 234 pixels. ImageMagick reports it as PNG format with the same resolution and geometry. Note that this is entirely outside LyX.

I agree that TiKZ generates vector graphics, but apparently the image was converted to PNG before embedding it in the PDF file. In any case, as I mentioned previously, I see the same blurring when zooming on vector graphics (e.g., SVG images). So the first step would be to figure out how to get LyX to zoom vector graphics without blurring. After that, you might need to modify your work flow so as to embed EPS or SVG graphics, rather than PDFs, in your LyX documents.

Paul