On 12/8/18 4:02 AM, jezZiFeR wrote:
Dear list, hello,

I wonder if there ist a possibility, that LyX opens two documents more easily than the following procedure, I do at least daily to get a split view (divide view in left and right) with two different documents. I use OSX10.13.6 and LyX  2.3.1-1.

  * open LyX
  * one of the two lastly used documents is opened
  * I choose view/divide view into left and right (sorry, might only
    be analogous as I use LyX in German)
  * I open the second document, which opens in a separate window
  * I click into the divided document and open the second document again

Now I have the desired split view with two different documents, while the second one also stays opened in the background.

Thanks for help
Jess
First, if you have not already done so, turn on "Tools > Preferences... > Look & Feel > Document Handling > Load opened files from last session" and save the setting. Thereafter, if you have two documents open side-by-side in LyX and you exit LyX without closing either document, the same two documents will open the next time you start LyX (but not in a side-by-side view, which brings me to the next tweak).

To get side-by-side view automatically, set up a new program launcher with the following command line (including the quotation marks):

lyx -x "view-split horizontal"

When you use that launcher (and assuming your last session had two documents (A and B) open, LyX will open up with two side-by-side views. A and B will both be open in the left view; whichever one was the active document (containing the cursor) on the left side in the previous session will also open in the right side.

I don't use OSX, so I'm afraid I can't help with the launcher setup. It would be nice if there were a way to eliminate the duplicate copy in the left view of whichever document is in the right view, but the only way I can see to do that would require the ability to programmatically switch from a buffer in the right view to a buffer in the left view, and the buffer-move LFUNs apparently won't jump view boundaries. I suppose you could file an enhancement request if that's a significant pain point for you.

Paul