Paul,

my understanding is that this is the intended behavior.

Child Documents are just that, Child Documents.

If you want a Child Document to be freestanding it must be surrounded at
the very least by something like

\documentclass{scrartcl}
\begin{document}
%[Child Document goes here]
\end{document}

And of course you must put the contents of the Master Document's
preamble into the Child Document for which I find it helpful to use
something like

\input{include.tex}

in every Child Document's preamble anyway.

greetings, el

On 01/04/2019 20:58, Paul Johnson wrote:[...]
> However, I have students who want to use the dissertation template as
> raw LaTexX files, rather than within LyX. Here I run into a bad
> problem.
>
> In my 20190201 version, the people who want to edit the exported LaTeX
> file in raw LaTeX could not compile the document.  There's an error
> about commands in the chapter heading that are only allowed in the
> document preamble.  From that error message, I tracked back to changes
> I made and I understand what is going wrong.
>
> If I start with the master document and do Export to LaTeX (pdflatex),
> the individual chapter .tex files are created.  They are not
> free-standing documents.  At the top, there was no preamble.  It
> starts in line 1 with the chapter name
[...]