On 21/04/2019 16:44, t...@wescottdesign.com wrote:
Can you identify why it takes so long?

Are you splitting it up by chapter?  I would certainly expect that a per-chapter rendering would take less time (at least per chapter), unless the document contains a lot of cross-references.

I have a lot of cross-references indeed.

Usually the reason I need to do frequent document compiles is to make sure I'm getting my equations right -- if you could configure Lyx to not compile the references (or whatever it is that is slow and that you don't need on an immediate basis) when you build per-chapter, then perhaps your speed will go up?

Yes, that sounds worth trying. Any idea how LyX could be configured that way much appreciated.

Daniel