I used bibtex so far but thought to switch to biblatex, since I assumed it would handle diacritics better. However, I am unexperienced and e.g. don't know how to get in the bibliography the surname, a comma, and only the first character of the prename with a ., example: Biblatex gives me in the setting (were and how do I change it??)

Leis, Jeffrey M. and Siebeck, Ulrike and Dixson, Danielle L.

I would, however, like to have it as

Leis, J. M. and Siebeck, U. and Dixson, D. L.

Do I have to do this in the reference manager?

could somebody recommend information on biblatex? Or should I stay with bitex and battle the diacritics?

Wolfgang