On 8/20/19 11:57 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I'm migrating to a new server/workstation and now I FUBAR'd lyx so it
> does
> not load.
>
> While looking in preferences to see if I could set the default window
> size
> there (for a 1250x1024 dpi monitor) I did not find an appropriate
> setting.
> But I did see that the UI file was a system-wide one rather than
> ~/.lyx/ui/classic.ui.

There's no such system-wide file. It's your file that's being used. LyX
only stores the filename, and searches both the user- and
system-directories for it.

> In preferences I changed to that UI file and killed the lyx process.
> When I
> tried to reload the application it failed:
>
> LyXComm: Pipe /home/rshepard/.lyx/lyxpipe.in already exists.
> If no other LyX program is active, please delete the pipe by hand and
> try again.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/lyx/scripts/prefs2prefs.py", line 202, in <module>
>     main(sys.argv)
>   File "/usr/share/lyx/scripts/prefs2prefs.py", line 167, in main
>     lines = read(source)
>   File "/usr/share/lyx/scripts/prefs2prefs.py", line 52, in read
>     lines = source.read().splitlines() or ['']
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/codecs.py", line 314, in decode
>     (result, consumed) = self._buffer_decode(data, self.errors, final)
> LookupError: unknown error handler name 'surrogateescape'
> filetools.cpp (1221): Could not run file conversion script
> prefs2prefs.py.
> GuiApplication.cpp (3092): Unable to convert
> /home/rshepard/.lyx/ui/classic.ui to format 4.
> GuiApplication.cpp (3099): Unable to read UI file:
> /home/rshepard/.lyx/ui/classic.ui

Note how it is reading the local file.

> FWIW, I have python3-3.7.4 installed and no longer use python2, but
> keep it
> on the system until the distribution drops it.

I have recently seen a problem with 3.7.4 on my system, as well, so it
could be related to that.

> 1) How do I fix the inability of lyx to read prefs2prefs.py so I can
> start the application?

I think we are going to have to fix that. But, for now, I'd try using a
new user directory and see if that works. If so, then copy over a few
things from the old one, and see if it keeps working.

> 2) How do I fix the inability of lyx to convert classic.ui to format 4?

Same. Probably, you can just change classic.ui to format 4 manually and
see if you get errors.

> 3) Where can I set the default lyx window size (running Xfce4)?

Use the -geometry argument. See lyx -help for info.

> 4) What is done to have lyx use python3 rather than python2?

I am not sure what happens in LyX now, but this is auto-detected. I'm
not sure if it is user configurable what python gets used.

Riki