On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 9:44 AM Kees Zeelenberg (kzStats) <
kzsta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, this is possible; that is to say I once did this under a dual boot of
> W10 and Lubuntu. Install MikTeX in the usual way under one system, say W10,
> then install the basics under the other system, WSL, and add the W10
> install TEXMF root directory, where the packages are, as user root
> directory under WSL.  Of course, in this construct, packages can only be
> updated under W10.

Thanks for sharing - this is interesting. Did you turn off the option on
the Linux side to install automatically missing modules (assuming that such
an option exists there, too)? One of the nice things about MikTeX in
Windows is that the modules are loaded dynamically inside of LaTeX (or even
LyX). TeXLive has huge "chunks" for modules (via apt-get), at least as
far as I can tell.

> It should also be possible to share between TeXLive and MikTeX in a
> similar way.
>
> I don’t do this anymore, since HD are cheap nowadays.

True, but the same is not true about SSDs. My main machine is a Surface Pro
and it's very snappy, but the SSD has ~250Gb - I'm not hurting for space
yet, which is why I asked the question. My home desktop has a 2TB HD that
is a performance bottleneck when I run LyX.

I will give it a try and report back. Cheers!