On 1/17/20 6:56 PM, Maria Gouskova wrote:
On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 1:52 PM Paul A. Rubin <parubi...@gmail.com <mailto:parubi...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 1/17/20 12:48 PM, Maria Gouskova wrote:
    Hi LyX users,

    Can anyone reproduce this? All I have in my sample file is
    \usepackage{bbding} in the preamble, and something like
    \Checkmark{} or \FiveStar{} in the body of the file. These used
    to come out to scale with the text, and now they are absolutely
    enormous in the PDF. Doesn't seem to depend on whether non-TeX
    fonts are used. I have LyX 2.3.3 on Linux Mint; I think at least
    as recently as this past May (2.3.2?), bbding worked fine.

    (I can produce a checkmark with \checkmark{} from the amsmath
    package, so this isn't critical, just kind of weird.)

    Maria

    Do you consider the check mark and star in the attached PDF huge
    or to scale? This was also done on Linux Mint using LyX 2.3.3.

    Paul

-- lyx-users mailing list
    lyx-users@lists.lyx.org <mailto:lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>

Yeah those are not what I am seeing. Attached--
The good news first: you're not hallucinating. Those really are large icons.
The bad news: when I compile your file, I get normal size icons.

I cannot find any non-default settings in your document that could account for what you are seeing. Grasping at straws, you might try looking at the full LaTeX source (View > Code Preview Pane, then select "LaTeX (pdflatex)" and "Complete Source" in the preview pane. This is what I get:

% Preview source code

%% LyX 2.3.3 created this file. For more info, see http://www.lyx.org/.

%% Do not edit unless you really know what you are doing.

\documentclass[english]{article}

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

\usepackage[latin9]{inputenc}

\usepackage[letterpaper]{geometry}

\geometry{verbose,tmargin=1in,bmargin=1in,lmargin=1in,rmargin=1in}

\setcounter{secnumdepth}{4}

\setcounter{tocdepth}{4}

\usepackage{amsmath}

\usepackage{amssymb}

\usepackage[authoryear]{natbib}

\makeatletter

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% User specified LaTeX commands.

\usepackage{bbding}

\AtBeginDocument{

\def\labelitemiii{\(\circ\)}

}

\makeatother

\usepackage{babel}

\begin{document}

text text \Checkmark{} text text \FiveStar{} text

\end{document}

Do you see any differences at your end? For that matter, are you using pdflatex? (I tried a few other routes to PDF output, and none of them gave me Brobdingnagian symbols.)
Last possibility: I'm using TeXLive 2018. What LaTeX system are you using?

Paul