I have attempted to create my own CV Latex class based on another template
I downloaded and incorporate it into LyX. I've done this before with my
School's dissertation class long ago. I have done the following (Linux):

   1. I downloaded the CV .cls file and I placed it in my LaTeX directory
   2. I ran texhash to update
   3. I created a LyX layout file (text below) and placed it in
   ~/.lyx/layouts/ and then reconfigured LyX and restarted the program
   4. Created a new file and under Document>Settings>Document Class I
   selected my new CV class called "resume" and hit apply. LyX then says it's
   converting the document to the new document class.

After these steps the pull down menu for the layout list does not populate
according to the new class. It appears populated as a standard article
class rather than the custom layout options from the CV class. If I add in
front matter and compile the document it does compile successfully and
things like name, address, phone are formatted correctly. So I know that
LyX can see the class and is using it to compile the document. I can also
import plain LaTeX and everything works but this just turns LyX into a
glorified TeX editor rather than what it should be doing. Below is the
contents of my layout file which is quite minimal:

#% comment line
# \DeclareLaTeXClass{resume}
Input stdclass.inc

-Steve