On 2021-06-21 01:44 , Paul A. Rubin wrote:
On 6/20/21 5:39 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
Hi all,

I have a local layout, based on Book-extsizes, for my new book. I have
no idea what the book's title will be yet, and I sure nuff don't want
to have to search all instances of that title and replace them every
time I get a better idea for the title.
[...]

This is not an answer to your question, but possibly something
simpler.  If you load the 'titling' package in the document preamble,
you can put anything you want in the document's title environment and
then just use \thetitle (or maybe \thetitle{}) in ERT any place you
want to repeat the title.  If you get the hots for a new title later,
you just have to change it in the title environment.  This doesn't
deal directly with the funky formatting of the title, but it does
eliminate the search-and-replace aspect.

Paul

This is not an answer to your question, but I use stuff like $$SURNAME$$
in a number of my LyX templates and then something like

        $Surname = 'Doe';
        s/\$\$SURNAME\$\$/$Surname/g';

in my Perl script to fill in the variables :-)-O

el