On 2021-06-26 10:58, Kornel Benko wrote:
Am Sat, 26 Jun 2021 09:29:29 +0200
schrieb Daniel <xraco...@gmx.de>:

Hi,

After installing LyX, the backup directory is empty (Preferences >
Paths). Does that mean that no backups are created by default or that
the backups are created even though "Backup documents, every ...
minutes" is checked (Preferences > Look & Feel > Document Handling)
(btw. Look & Feel seems a misnomer for backup settings). Or is a backup
created in the directory of the lyx file (the title bar shows a
directory even for new not yet saved files, so I suppose these files are
backup there as well)?

Daniel

 From what I understand, backups are created iff a lyx file changes while
edited by lyx.

        Kornel

I still find LyX's backups a bit confusing. Officially it says in the User Guide:

"Backup original documents when saving creates a backup copy of the file in the state when it was opened or when it was saved the last time. It is stored in the Backup directory (see section [sec:Paths]) or in the same folder as your document if no Backup directory is specified. The backup file has the file extension “.lyx~”.

With the option Backup documents, every, you can specify the time between backup saves.

Save documents compressed by default always saves files in a compressed format (see also section [subsec:Compressed]). This applies to newly created documents only. The compression status of existing documents is not changed when saving."

Sometimes there is a backup with the ".lyx˜" extension but sometimes with the ".lyx#" extension (as in "#filename.lyx#"). Contrary to the Guide, it seems as if the latter is the backup created automatically every 5 minutes by default. Also, they are not strictly speaking created every 5 minutes but only if in addition the document is the active one on LyX. That does not seem very safe.

Then I find the ".lyx~" files in my directories. I guess they are created when LyX crashes? And maybe also in the case that Kornel mentions, if I understood it correctly, i.e. when a document that is edited in LyX is changed (externally)?

It's all a bit confusing to me. Why are there different file extensions/names? Why does it periodically backup only when the document is active? What happens when LyX crashes with documents that have never been saved? Are there any backups created?

Daniel