On 7/22/21 2:25 PM, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

Am 22.07.21 um 20:12 schrieb Wolfgang Engelmann:

Am 22.07.21 um 17:32 schrieb Paul A. Rubin:
On 7/22/21 9:31 AM, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
There is a new Jabref (5.3.1) available under
https://www.fosshub.com/JabRef.html
There is a download for Ubuntu+Debian
and a Linux portable.
I wanted to try the latter, but don't know how to run it.
Could somebody advice me?
Wolfgang
Download the archive file and extract it, which will create a folder named JabRef which in turn contains bin and lib folders. Put that folder wherever you want it. (Since this is the portable version, I suspect you might want it on a thumb drive.)

Strange:
~/Downloads/JabRef/bin$ ./JabRef
Error opening "/home/wolfgang/Downloads/JabRef/lib/app/JabRef.cfg" file: No such file or directory
??
I am on Debian 11
Could the existing older JabRef be the cause?
Wolfgang
The JabRef contains two folders,
bin
and lib

in bin is JabRef
in lib is a folder runtime
  which contains lib, conf, bin, legal as folders

where is JabRef.cfg ? >
find -iname 'JabRef.cfg'
./lib/app/JabRef.cfg

why is it not found?

Wolfgang

Strange indeed. I do not encounter that error on my system (Linux Mint, which is Ubuntu-based and pretty compatible with Debian), with the extracted program in exactly the same folder (~/Downloads). I have JabRef 3.8.2 installed, and it does not interfere with launching the portable version.

You might try shifting the terminal to the ~/Downloads/JabRef folder and running "bin/JabRef", but I suspect the same error will occur.

A nonprinting control character embedded in the path might cause the file not found error, but it is very hard to see how one might get into the path.

You could also try copying the JabRef folder to /tmp and repeat the experiment there. If running ./JabRef in /tmp/JabRef/bin works, a stray character in the path becomes more plausible.