Am Freitag, dem 08.10.2021 um 08:01 +0200 schrieb Andreas Plihal:
> Hi,
>
> my (two-column) index should be formatted in justification (is that
> the correct word?), which sometimes creates ugly large gaps in the
> text when the line breaks. I figured I could work around this problem
> by left-justifying the entire index. To do this, I added the command
>
> \raggedright
>
> immediately before it. That works too.
>
> But unfortunately the two-column index on the last page no longer
> ends vertically flush. How can I get a concise deal?

1. Do *not* use \raggedright in the document body (before the index)

2. Do *not* use the flushend package for column flushing

3. Rather than that, uncomment the idxlayout package (which cares for
vertical flushing by default) and add the following package option to
get left alignment: justific=raggedleft

I.e.:

\usepackage[indentunit=1em,hangindent=1em,
            subsubindent=2em,
            justific=raggedright]{idxlayout}

HTH,
Jürgen