And 20 seconds is a drama? Come on.

And my understanding is that you can pass parameters from the command
line to make, so this can become part of an automatable workflow.

el

On 2021-12-20 22:49 , Steve Litt via lyx-users wrote:
Dr Eberhard Lisse via lyx-users said on Mon, 20 Dec 2021 08:49:24 +0200

PDFLaTeX is much faster that LuaLaTeX but to be hoest, nowadays the
day to day stuff is so fast anyway that that doesn't matter.

I noticed that my new book, which is much shorter than most, took
about triple the time, like about 20 seconds on a very fast machine,
to compile that books with LaTeX, XeTeX, and PDFTeX took.  Because I
personalize every book, I need to recompile for every order, so I
might research using PDFTeX. Thanks for the tip.

SteveT
[...]