Am 29.01.22 um 16:06 schrieb Kornel Benko via lyx-users:
Am Sat, 29 Jan 2022 15:27:15 +0100
schrieb Wolfgang Engelmann via lyx-users <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>:

Am 29.01.22 um 15:07 schrieb Wolfgang Engelmann via lyx-users:

Am 29.01.22 um 13:40 schrieb Scott Kostyshak via lyx-users:
which -a lyx
/usr/local/bin/lyx
/usr/bin/lyx

ups! twice??

ldd outputs in appendix

Wolfgang

This is the
wolfgang@Fuji:/usr/bin$ ls lyx*
lyx  lyxclient
wolfgang@Fuji:/usr/bin$ cd /usr/local/bin/

wolfgang@Fuji:/usr/local/bin$ ls lyx*
lyx  lyxclient
  > is Version 2.4.0dev (not released yet)

/usr/bin$ ./lyx
LyX: Unknown tag `\citation_search_view' [around line 507 of file
~/.lyx/lyxrc.defaults current token: '\citation_search_view' context: '']
LyXRC.cpp (417): Conversion failed for /home/wolfgang/.lyx/preferences
Warning: Die Konfigurationsdatei konnte nicht gelesen werden
Fehler beim Lesen der Konfigurationsdatei
preferences.
Bitte prüfen Sie Ihre Installation.

  > this does not start lyx

wolfgang@Fuji:/usr/local/bin$ ./lyx
LyXComm: Pipe /home/wolfgang/.lyx/lyxpipe.in already exists.
If no other LyX program is active, please delete the pipe by hand and
try again.
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 5 (BadAtom), sequence: 795,
resource id: 0, major code: 20 (GetProperty), minor code: 0
Warning: Failed to produce 1 preview snippet(s)

  > this starts lyx

Should I just remove the /usr/bin lyx binary?

Wolfgang
Warning: Failed to produce 1 preview snippet(s)

It may be that /usr/bin/lyx is provided by your package manager. So removing it
manually would be a very bad style IMO.

Better to set
a;) either your PATH to have /usr/local/bin prior to /usr/bin
or
b;) if your OS is debian based, use synaptic to withdraw the lyx.
     You may also check if the '/usr/bin/lyx' belongs to a package
     $ dpkg -S `which lyx`

        Kornel

Thanks, Kornel,
I have completely removed the lyx 2.3.6 version using synaptic of my Debian.
Since the 2.4.0. version is not yet available via synaptic, I keep this developmental version which I compiled before.
Wolfgang