This is a crosspost with
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/639665/lyx-index-title-does-not-align-with-section-titles

But the issue seems quite LyX-specific. When adding an index in a LyX
document, the title "Index" (or its modified name) does not vertically
align with other section titles in the output. There is more vertical
space above it. This can also be seen in the German and English LyX
manuals, compare pp. 193 and 191 or pp. 177 and 175 respectively.

Could this be related to the two-column-layout of the index? Could
|titlesec| modify the index title in LyX?

How can the index further be modified, e. g. how can I add a short
prologue between the title and the first entry?

I was also a bit confused about the index program. The User Guide says
that xindy is used by default, but in the log I only find makeidx. In
the global preferences the processor makeindex is selected.

Thanks!