Thank you Paul,

alt-T opens the Tools menu just fine, so I will likely try it without a fixed
Top Toolbar for a
while as that might give me more typing space. So you answered my lyx question.
 Thanks
much.

For what its worth, I note that my default.ui is all by itself in
root>user>share>lyx>ui.

default.ui is also in my /usr/share/lyx/ui/default.ui), along with
stdtoolbars.inc,
stdmenus.inc and stdcontext.inc, but lyx no longer points there for some reason.

Not sure why my lyx is accessing root>user>share>lyx>ui but am happy that I can
now
access the tools.

John