Stephan Witt,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.
Only now did I try it.

Alas, it doesn't work.

I wrote a simple 2 pages document in LyX. A few words and then \cleardoublepage
and the a few words.

I select a word in LyX and go click Navigate->Foreword search

and Skim is indeed raised but I can't see any red dot as the one seen in your
screenshot.

Any idea what is else is there to fix?