Am Wed, 27 Jul 2022 16:16:46 +0200
schrieb Wolfgang Engelmann <engelm...@uni-tuebingen.de>:

> Am 27.07.22 um 16:12 schrieb Kornel Benko:
> > Am Wed, 27 Jul 2022 16:09:54 +0200
> > schrieb Wolfgang Engelmann <engelm...@uni-tuebingen.de>:

> >> Thanks, Kornel, but Document->LaTeX Log
> >> is greyed out
> >> Wolfgang
> >
> > You have to Export (or View) first.
> >
> >     Kornel
> >

> Yes, I did export or view. In both cases I get immediately
>
> The external program
> pdflatex
> finished with an error. It is recommended you fix the cause of the
> external program's error (check the logs).

You can try to use different latex executable.
Also maybe your path to working latex execs is wrong.
In any case, you could use option '-dbg files' to get a hint about used dirs.

(Search for 'Temporary file ` something ' created'
 there should be a directory 'lyx_tmpbuf0', this is what we are after)

        Kornel