Many thanks, John: a money-saving idea that comes with exactly what I want to
hear!

However, given my need for “black box” comfort/confidence at this stage in
life, I guess a PC with Windows 11 would be equally OK? Right?

PS: When I mentioned LyX-basic, that was to get around my Mac/LyX problems.

With a PC, and the accompanying lack of problems, it seems that LyX-basic will
be unnecessary.

Thanks to the LyX team!

With my thanks again, John; Gordon