Thank you Paul very much for the suggestion.  It caused me to think that
something
might be wrong with permissions.  So I opened lyx in root and the top tool bar
shows.  It
only doesn't show when I open it on a regular, non-root command line or from
the lyx
icon.

I am not sure where the system menu is.  Lyx can be used without the top menu
bar but it
will only print to one pdf version.

John