> > As Paul Rubin notes, compiling from source is an option and I will add
> that it is super easy — the only trick is having all the necessary packages
> installed. I have compiled it recently under Ubuntu 22.10 and I’d be happy
> to send you my notes and answer any questions you might have.
>
> Good Afternoon Chris,
>
> if you don;t mind me asking, I would also like a copy of your notes etc
> on building Lyx from source. I too am suffering (!) from the Linux Mint
> "Vanessa" problem.

Sure thing! I note that I have already received one report of a successful
2.3.7 compile and install based on these steps. :-)

Install basic QT5 stuff
$ sudo apt install qtbase5-dev qtchooser qt5-qmake qtbase5-dev-tools

Then, to avoid "unable to compile simple QT binary” error, the following:
$ sudo apt install pkg-config libqt5x11extras5-dev libqt5svg5-dev libice-dev

I was also missing libmagic-dev on my Dell XPS installation:
$ sudo apt install libmagic-dev

Finally, I ran configure with the follow spec for QTDIR:
$ ./configure --with-qt-dir=/usr/share/qt5

Then it’s just a matter of:
$ make
$ sudo make install