Can you post an example? I don't understand the Abbreviation is part of the Nomenclature. Usually there are the index and the nomenclature. The dialogs differ.

The nomanclature dialog offers a field for the sorting, while the index dialog puts an  \index{ ... } in the latex file.

Makeindex has several options (special chars:  !, | and @). I think the description here https://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX-Kompendium:_Index_und_Glossar:_Standard-Index is good.