OK, created a new Virtual Box VM, Debian 12.2.  Installed none of the desktops
or WMs or display managers, just the base system.  Then installed xorg, fluxbox
and lyx. Started xorg with startx and this entered fluxbox which seemed to be
behaving normally.  Then started lyx from a terminal. Same thing, it doesn't
manage to start, similar long scrolling list of error messages.

Then installed ICEWM into this VM, just to make sure, started it with 'startx
icewm' and lyx started fine from a terminal.

So that's it for me now.  I'll try contacting the developers list.

Peter