I use lyx 2.3.6 on my debian (bullseye) system  I often file in Pacer, the
database used by the US
federal court system.  Normally, I just do regular lyx stuff and once the file
is ready, export with
pst2pdf (to insure that line numbers exist at the left side of each page) and
upload to Pacer.

HOWEVER, I often get files from other attorneys who use microsoft Word, which I
import into lyx
and reformat.

To file in Pacer, the document must be "flattened."  This poses no problem with
files created in
lyx.  However, whenever I import a Word file and convert it to lyx, Pacer balks
and refuses to
accept the document unless I "flatten" it.  If  I am at the office, I "flatten"
it  by printing out the
lyx document and, using the copier, scan it back to me.  I then can upload that
scanned file to
pacer.  If I am at home, I "flatten" it by using "$ pdf2ps orig.pdf - | ps2pdf
- flattened.pdf", which
usually works.

Pacer itself uses Microsoft Word and brags about it incessantly.

My question is this:  Do those who use Microsoft Word also have to "flatten"
files before filing in
the federal courts or does Pacer just accept Microsoft Word files "as is"?  If
so, there might be
some sort of anti-trust implications in all this.

John White Jr.