I am having problems with LyX 2.4 that are so great that I don't even know
where to begin to sort them out.  I have a LyX file which contains all the math
macros I use regularly.  I have included (with \input) it at the very top of
another document which is a LyX master document, containing only a title page,
toc, lof, references to five child LyX documents (chapters. and here I used
\include), and bibliography (thru natbib).  I am using svmono as the class
file.  I used to have references to the macro file at the top of the five
chapter files too, but this was apparently causing compilation problems, so I
removed them.  But because the child (chapter) files were referencing the
master document, which still contained the macro file as a child, they could
still see the macros (bravo: that is exactly how it ought to work).

Yesterday, when I left school, this was working fine.  I saved everything and
returned this morning and now nothing is working (this is not the only problem
I am having, but I can only deal with one at time).  Now, when I try to compile
the child documents individually they give LaTeX errors saying that the macros
are not defined.  But the macros still work inside of LyX—it's LaTeX (well,
technically, XeTeX) that is causing the problem.  If I put the references to
the macro file back in the child documents, they compile individually (if I
take out bibliography citations—this is one of the other problems)​, but then
the master document will not compile.  It doesn't even given an error—it just
goes forever into compile mode (wheel on task bar spins indefinitely).

So to recap:

Macro file and chapter files included in master file with (\input and \include,
respectively) -> master compiles, chapters do not, but strangely, the math
macros function correctly in chapter documents even though they do not​
individually include the macro file.  It is only when compiling that XeTeX says
it cannot find the macros.

Macro file included in chapter and​ master documents and chapters included in
master -> chapters compile (with bibliography citations removed) but master
will not.

I guess I may as well include the bibliography problem here because it may be
related.  In LyX, the chapters can "see" the bibliography entries just by
referencing the master document if there is a \printbibliography command
somewhere in the master.  I can see all the included entries when adding a
citation and select what I want, just as it should work.  But when I compile
the chapters individually, I get "citation undefined" errors in spite of this.
Compiling the master (if I remove the macro references from the chapters) works
fine.

I have to believe that I should be able to include references to macros and
bibliography in the master only and still be able to compile the chapters
individually, especially since that functionality exists inside of LyX.  Only
when trying to compile do problems come up.  And I could have sworn all this
was working yesterday, so I am at a loss as to what happened.  How is this
supposed to work?

One last thing.  Yesterday, I had the bibliography settings as Style Format ->
Biblatex (natbib mode) and Processor -> default and it was compiling.  First
thing today, having changed nothing, I got biber errors.  I assumed that biber
was the default processor and changed it to bibtex.  Now it works.  But I had
previously used the aforementioned settings religiously without error.

Thanks!
Mike Pugh