I just started using LyX, and even after a few hours, it's clear that it's
a great advance over using LaTeX directly, even with great packages like
AucTeX under Emacs.  In switching over to LyX, I'm trying to decide how to
best deal with the extensive set of LaTeX math macros I've put together
over the years.

Under LyX, the most straight forward approach would be to simply insert

\input{macros.tex}

into the LaTeX preamble box.  I can then save this preamble as part of the
~/.lyx/defaults.lyx file and have it available for all documents I
compose.  The disadvantage of this approach is that the macro doesn't get
expanded into WYSIWM mode.  For example, \norm{x} appears in the red, TeX
mode.

The math-macro definitions have the advantage that they are expanded and
appear in WYSIWM mode (a LyX perk!).  However, there seems to be no
mechanism for saving the math-macro definitions as part of a standard
template.

Are there other options for setting up my macros in LyX as some sort of
default for all new documents, and still take advantage of the WYSIWM
feature?

Thanks for the help.

--Michael