I had LyX go down on me earlier today (no innuendo intended
:-) -- I'd been converting a doc to LyX format all morning
when it suddenly bombed.  No problem, you say, there's an
emergency save file created.  True enough, but when I looked
harder I found that both my original file and the emergency
save file were zero bytes big.  :-( to say the least.

Luckily (*very* luckily) I'd recently peeked in the file with
emacs to see how something was stored -- most of my changes
were still sitting in a buffer (but got hastily saved to
disk!).

Admittedly I'm living on the bleeding edge a bit -- lyx
1.1.6fix2, xforms 0.89.  But maybe something like the emacs
autosave gimmick (saving a copy of the file at intervals to a
completely different filename, which gets removed when a user
save takes place) wouldn't go amiss in LyX.

Glenn