Herbert,

thanks for the detailed explanation. But it seems that lyx can't do what I
need. I need all the files in one directory (including the latex class files)
unpack it and run it through lyx.

I will do the replacement by hand for now. Hopefully a later version of lyx
will support it (an easy fix would be to be able to specify the documentclass
line in latex ocde).

Thanks a lot.

Rainer.