I've done everything I can think of to place my topmost line of text
within 0.25in of my paper, the closest my printer will allow.

All the relevant settings I know of are as follows:

Paper Layout:
  Papersize: USletter, Special: None,  Use Geometry Package,
  Margins: Top: 0.25in, Bottom: 0.625in, Left/Right: 0.5in
  Foot/Head Margins: all 0in;
  Custom Papersize: all empty
Document Layout:
  Class: article, Pagestyle: empty, FontSize: 11.

The top line is size large, Standard layout, centered, no vertical
space above in Paragraph Layout.  But LyX puts it 0.5in from the top
edge of the paper to the top of the highest letters, not 0.25in as I
want.

What am I overlooking?  Where's that extra space coming from?
I know I can put some negative vspace before that line, but that
seems like a silly kludge, I ought to be able to convince LyX
to print as I want directly, shouldn't I?  In fact, I'm sure I
have printed that close to the top in the past, but I can't seem
to get this document to do it, and I obviously don't understand
LyX well enough to duplicate my accidental success from before.

LyX 1.1.5fix1.

TIA,

Jim