Must I put a bibleogrphy insert -> lists TOC -> BibTex references in every
included document allow citations from BibTex ".bib" files (without
resorting to ERT)? This seems to be the only way for lyx to find the
xxx.bib file within slave docuemnts. (The Multipart document section of
the Extended Features document addresses only cross-references between
different documents.)

(To compile an entire multipart document requires only that the
bibleography definition be in the master document -- by convention, at the
end.)

The side effect of this approach is the bibleography for the entire
document at the end of each chapter. This is OK, while wording on
individual chapters. The "BibTex Generated Reference" button can be
deleted quickly to avoid this side effect when doing the final print.
However, to make any edits that require references, means -- put it back
in.

\chapterbib could work, but only if it is desired....

This is a minor pain, but not a very good selling point. The only
semi-elegant solution that occurs to me now is an include file with the
necessary latex commands. -->In the master document, insert the "Generate
Bibtex Ref"  button and in all subdocuments, have an "include file" at the
end. While writing, the include file would define the bib file and the
referenceing style and when done writing, the definition would be erased
or commented out. I suppose a starred version of the "Generate ..." button
could be defined (I have done only minor tinkering with layout files).

--
Mark Hansel
PO Box 41