"John Boik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> First, I would like to use a different font family (sans serif rather than
> times) for table captions.

This is defined by the LaTeX style. Try the koma-script family
instead of the default styles. (That's in Layout->Document.) It will
change other details, too.

> Second, I would like to get rid of the default justification for
> text in a table column.

Should be possible, but justification has always been a weak point of
LaTeX (imho).

> Third, some rows of my table are intended to fall on two lines.

Very difficult. Using two rows is the easiest, if possible. Otherwise
you can define multiline cells with linebreaks. You have to define a
widths, imho. Details depend on the exact LyX version.

> Fourth, is there an easy way to select text and then format it all
> in caps (not small caps, or whatever is listed in the character
> popup), or as title caps (first word capitalized)?

Not that I know. Emacs does it with M-u. So if anyone could write this
for LyX...

> Fifth, is there any easy way to automatically have a table span exactly the
> width of the paper?

Yes, this can be done using LaTeX. You can specify the column width as
part of the paper width. I don't remember the exact syntax, though.

> Sixth, I have a new command that I put in the preamble that inserts the
> microgram symbol (the Greek micro and the roman g) if I type in \mg.  It is:
>
> \newcommand{\mg}{$\mu$g }

Imho it should be a math macro. Look it up in the help, they are easy
to define an use.

> It allows me to easily type in, for example, 70 ug.  But, when the
> paragraphs are justified, Lyx does not know to keep the 70 next to the ug
> symbol and the space looks funny.  Is there a way to keep the two next to
> each other?

Use a protected space (Ctrl-SPACE).

> Seventh, and this one might be the hardest, when I use the \begin{cases} and
> \end{cases} command in the math mode,

I always do this manually, with a left bracket and an n by 3 matrix.

> Eighth and last, I would like to use BibTex for my references, and I
> understand how to import the citation into Lyx, but I don't know how to
> start BibTex in the first place to enter a list of references.

BibTeX databases are just text files. You can write them with your
favourite editor, or you use one of the several special programs for
BibTeX files.

> One suggestion, which might be a hard one, would be to have it
> natively save its files in *.tex format and do all the conversion
> behind the scenes.

Yes, it would be nice, but LyX is not going this way.

> I know that there is an export function, but I think I read that it
> is 95% or so accurate in conveying the full meaning of what was
> typeset in Lyx.

No, the export is 100% accurate (more or less). It is the import which
not infallible.

> Also, having it in *.tex format would allow easy sharing of files
> with other collaborators who are using LaTex but not Lyx.

Well, not really. Unless the formatting of the tex-file is kept (which
cannot be done), exchanging files with TeX "purists" is always a bit
difficult. Export and import is a way of communicating this to the
user :-)

                    Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--
Umweltfreundlich, da aus recycleten Buchstaben.