>>Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 07:52:07 +0100
>>From: "J.S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Subject: Crappy-looking PDF -- why?
>>
>>My project was due months ago. I was about to mail it to my teacher, just
>>now as I finished it, though everything looked far more crappy than I had
>>thought.
>>
>>1. The pictures. What's wrong with the pictures? When I open the .pdf's in
>>GIMP they're fine, just fine. Here though, nooo. And why arn't they
>>centered? I first inserted an eps and then I replaced the extention with pdf.

If you're original is jpeg, just remove the extension in the lyx file,
graphics will deal with it.
If you converted from jpeg to esps then back to pdf, you loose quality unless
you check carefully the conversion parameters: eps is bad on bitmaps and
moreover not needed if you use pdflatex.

You should *really* beware of having a picture with the same name as the document.

>>2. The margin notes next to the images appear on the next page.

If you prefer to use margin notes rather than captions, it's up to you,
but you should consider having figure floats instead of direct insertion:
the caption is provided there. You may force automatic placement to top to have text
under the figure, or manage to have text on the odd page and picture on the even or
anything with a little parsing of the docs about figure placement.
You amy also have text wrapping around pictures.

--
Jean-Pierre