>>Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:52:29 +0200 (EET)
>>From: Tuukka Toivonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: Hanxue Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>cc: Lyx Mailing List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Subject: Re: Difference between PDF (GNU Ghostscript) and PDF (latex)
>>
>>On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Hanxue Lee wrote:
>>
>>>1. Through GNU Ghostscript (first option in menu)
>>>2. Through PDF latex (second option in menu)
>>>Which one produces a higher quality output?
>>
>>In my opinion, pdflatex creates higher quality output,
>>but it is more difficult to use.
>>
>>- if you use pdflatex, your images must be in PDF format.
>>  But LyX can't then show them.
>>- With pdflatex, you can use hyperlinks with package hyperref.
>>  I don't know if it works with usual LaTeX which goes
>>  to PostScript (I would guess not).
>>- With pdflatex you can set the document title, keywords etc.
>>  that'll show with Acroread (not with xpdf :( )
>>
>>Also, some latex document that I have written don't work with
>>pdflatex, but only with latex. I don't know why, they should.

Check your pdflatex version, I had to upgrade to 14h to improve behaviour:
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417 (Web2C 7.3.3.1)

tex2pdf current version is OK from LyX, may fail on plain latex or
ERT'd LyX. Some detected causes of failure:
 - complicated constructs in title/author fields (newlines, changes in
fonts,...), partially solved in the last cvs version;
 - multi-line \includegraphics commands,
 - command lines beginning with spaces (this one is perhaps gone),
 - ... (other small problems welcome)

Otherwise, it does nothing that can't be done with undersanding of
pdflatex and hyperref, but it does it for you pretty efficiently
in the current release. I don'y use any other way now to produce pdf.

--
Jean-Pierre