Hi

It seems from the replies that you are not familiar with the follow-mode, nor that
you've tried it in
Emacs, so let me explain a little bit more in detail.

The follow-mode is at first glance just viewing the document in two (or more)
windows.... but there
are differences. Basically, the view of the dodument in the two windows are connected,
so that if you
scroll, all windows are scrolled simultaneously. Similarly, if you keep moving the
cursor downwards
(with the down-arrow key), the cursor will jump to the top of the next window when it
comes to the
end of the first window...

If that sounds complicated, here's an example:
Assume that you have a document that consists of a lots of rows, that only contains
the numbers:
    1
    2
    3
    and so on.

Then a screen with three windows in follow mode (each having 5 lines) would look as
illustrated
below, where ('C' represents the cursor) and the "virtual window" starts with line 3
and ends with
line 17.

============ The LyX window =========================================
#                                                                   #
# -- View 1 --   -- View 2 --    -- View 3 --     ...               #
# | 3        |  | 8         |    | 13        |                      #
# | 4        |  | 9         |    | 14        |                      #
# | 5        |  | 10        |    | 15        |                      #
# | 6  C     |  | 11        |    | 16        |                      #
# | 7        |  | 12        |    | 17        |                      #
# ------------  -------------    -------------                      #
#                                                                   #
#====================================================================

Now pressing arrow down twice will move the cursor as follows:

 Window 1     Window 2       Window 3
----------   -----------    ----------    ...
| 3      |   | 8  C    |    | 13     |
| 4      |   | 9       |    | 14     |
| 5      |   | 10      |    | 15     |
| 6      |   | 11      |    | 16     |
| 7      |   | 12      |    | 17     |
----------   -----------    ----------

Now pressing page down would produce the following result

 Window 1     Window 2       Window 3
----------   -----------    ----------    ...
| 18     |   | 23  C   |    | 28     |
| 19     |   | 24      |    | 29     |
| 20     |   | 25      |    | 30     |
| 21     |   | 26      |    | 31     |
| 22     |   | 27      |    | 32     |

I hope this explains what function I'd like. The main advantage is of course that with
three windows,
you get to see and work with three times as many rows on one screen. I suggest you try
this in Emacs,
if it sounds interesting.

Christian