On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 02:48:44PM -0400, Ronald Florence wrote:

> In the hope that this may save others some time, here are some notes
> on compiling LyX-1.2.0pre4 on Sparc-Solaris-8:

Thanks for these notes. I'll hopefully patch these into our INSTALL
soonish.

>  - The distribution from ftp.devel.lyx.org includes pre-configured
>  header files in the sigc++ subdirectory.  If you do a `distclean',
>  you will need gm4 to recreate those header files; the makefile in the
>  sigc++ subdirectory does not work with Solaris m4.

Hum, this sounds like a plain bug. distclean should not be removing any
file that comes in the tarball. Lars ?

>  - The Solaris ar seg-faults trying to build the insets library.  You
>  will need to use the ar from the GNU binutils for this subdirectory.

How would we solve this one ? It's a plain broken tool, no ?

Are you running the latest version of ar that Sun provide ?

>  - Don't bother building LyX-1.2.0pre4 with an older xforms library.
>  The new on-screen graphics rendering requires xforms-89.6 and convert
>  from the ImageMagick tools.

actually for most cases, it's xforms-89.6 OR convert. It's fairly cleear
we need to add a little documentation on what's required when though.

> same time, I hope that building the production versions of this and
> future releases of LyX will not require quite so many proprietary
> Linux/GNU tools.

LyX builds fine on digital unix with the system tools, for example. The
simple fact is none of the developers use Solaris ! Testers such as
yourself help to keep us honest.

> If I recall correctly, Lyx-1.1.5 and before could be
> built with standard Unix utilities and a good C++ compiler.  Restoring
> that portability might go a long way toward wider acceptance and use
> of LyX.

Will you be contributing Solaris builds of 1.2.0 proper for the LyX ftp
site ? I hope so !

regards
john

--
"I continue to be amazed at what Andrei can make templates do. Some of it
 still makes my head hurt."