Oh, it works now... :-)

    Roberto

P.S: what I did was,

 Edit the
 /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/fonts.dir
file, so that the line which reads
 s050000l.pfb -URW-Symbol-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-urw-fontspecific
is changed to (only "urw" is changed to "adobe")
 s050000l.pfb -URW-Symbol-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-fontspecific

Then restart the X server (or reboot if you do not know how to do
that) and things should work again.