By default a converter PNG->EPS is defined. Since I defined an EPS->PS
converter, Lyx then converted PNG->EPS->PS and failed to load the image
(see previous message). So I removed the PNG->EPS converter, so that the
PNG->XPM get used. However, the images still didn't get loaded. "lyx -dbg
graphics" shows that lyx converts PNG->XPM->EPS->PS! Lyx _can_ load xpm
directly and does so, if I delete the EPS->PS converter.
This is minor once one knows what happens. There are always ways to work
around this, defining only the right converters. But it still seems odd.

Jan

PS : This has been verified using lyx1.2.1cvs as of june 22 on
Solaris(sparc) 2.7, xforms 0.89.6 and Image Magick 5.4.5.