I think this would be a great idea.  It would be great in terms of updating
lyx documentation for instance.  Anybody finding a bug or  in the
documentation
or updating the documentation
should be able to make changes and send the file back.  The
documentation maintainer
ideally would be able to take multiple documents with fixes at once and
update
the original source with them.

Rather than a set of marks where changes were made as proposed below I
would prefer
to see a diff like facility that showed where there were changes between
files and allowed
the user to choose to accept the change to the original or not.
The closest I have seen to this kind of facility is in the envy software
package that you
can get for some versions of Smalltalk.

Ralph Boland