http://www.stixfonts.org/
Just wondering whether this would be relevant to the LyX project, LyX tends to use scientific/mathamatical fonts a lot so I thought the project might be interested....and I'm also not sure whether the developers are already aware of this....

Note: I don't intend to post this to the development list yet, I wanted to know if I should post it to the development list, is it relevant enough to the project?

The info below is from the stixfonts site:
http://www.stixfonts.org/
The mission of the Scientific and Technical Information Exchange (STIX) font creation project is the preparation of a comprehensive set of fonts that serve the scientific and engineering community in the process from manuscript creation through final publication, both in electronic and print formats. Toward this purpose, the STIX fonts will be made available, under royalty-free license, to anyone, including publishers, software developers, scientists, students, and the general public.

The STIX mission will be fully realized when:

Fully hinted PostScript Type 1 and TrueType font sets have been created
All characters/glyphs have been incorporated into Unicode representation or comparable representation and browsers include program logic to fully utilize the STIX font set in the electronic representation of scholarly scientific documents

By making the fonts freely available, the STIX project hopes to encourage the development of applications that make use of these fonts. In particular. the STIX project will create a TeX implementation that TeX users can install and configure with minimal effort.

note:they still have 37.9% more Glyphs to create.....(it's not finished yet...)