Paul E Johnson wrote:

I'm sorry if you have been through this one before.

On RedHat 7.3, I used the xforms-1RC5.2 RPMS from here
ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/contrib/libforms-1.0-RC5.2.i386.rpm
ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/contrib/libforms-devel-1.0-RC5.2.i386.rpm

And I have gcc-3.0.4 and I built lyx-1.2.1. Except for one little change needed in the source code about string handling, it built fine.

Now when I open a lyx document that has eps figures, I see no preview, but the output does have the picture. The message in the eps box is "Waiting for draw request to start loading".

On the same system, using xforms-88 and lyx-1.2.1, I do not have the same preview problem.

What do you think about that one?

I asked the same question. I have three computers (work, home, and laptop) and the same thing happens on all three. Someone suggested turning on debugging using "lyx -dbg any" or "lyx -dbg graphics". This shows that there is a problem in converting the eps into pnm (if memory serves). Yet all the necessary software is installed and functioning. LyX is set up to use "convert" from ImageMagick. I can convert the eps files manually but it just doesn't work in LyX. What is really funny is that if I load a LyX help document, it displays the eps figures.

LyX 1.2.1 seems to have a lot of problems. I used to be able to just install the latest version and everything would basically work. With 1.2.1 now I also have trouble with the previewing of the document. On my home PC, if I logged in as a regular user, the preview worked OK (dvi, ps, and pdf). Yet if I would log in as root, it would not work. Another strange problem is viewing as html. I get an error message about the document name if it has more than one ".". Something about dvips not working in this case (although it has always worked to do a dvi preview). If I rename the document so it has only one ".", then it makes a nice html document and displays it in netscape (4.79) using latex2html. In some situations (I don't remember exactly), I would get an error saying that netscape can't find the server. If I configure LyX to use mozilla, I always get this error. Must have something to do with writine the mozilla command to open a file.

I imagine when LyX installs itself (I used an rpm), it looks for helper programs and configures accordingly. But I have all of them and they worked in 1.1.6fix3 so I'm not sure why things are so flaky now. If it was just one machine, I could understand it but not three (all running RH 8.0 - maybe it has to do with RH 8.0).

Rick B.