Am Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:51:20 -0500
schrieb Ronald Florence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Is there a helper application that will check for a running LyX, open
> the file there if it is available, or start LyX if there is none
> running?  Gimp-remote, which does the same for gimp, is the model I'm
> thinking of.

Use the LyxServer-pipe:
1) in the menu-entry "Bearbeiten-Einstellungen-Eingabe-Pfade-LyXServer
pipe"(I use the german translation) put something like
"/home-xx/.lyx/lypipe" (replace /home-xx with your $HOME -path).

2) write a litte script like:
---------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
if [ -e ~/.lyx/.lyxpipe.in ]
then
 echo "LYXCMD:test:file-open:$1" >~/.lyx/.lyxpipe.in
 read a <~/.lyx/.lyxpipe.out
 echo $a
else
 lyx -geometry 690x715+0+0 $1
fi
-------------------------------------
3) name the script as you like (perhaps lyxremote) and put it in a
path where it will be found (like /usr/local/bin).

Now you can load every lyx-file in an existing running LyX. If it's not
started, the script will start a new one.
Of course you have to call your *.lyx- files with lyxremote file.lyx

4) a little problem occurs, when lyx crashes: the files
$HOME/.lyx/lyxpipe.* will not be deleted so that "lyxremote" thinks
there exists a running lyx -- you will have to delete
$HOME/.lyx/lyxpipe.* by yourself.

This procedure works for me (lyx1.2.1):  there is also help about
the lyx Server-pipe in the helpfiles included with the lyx-package.

hope it helps
Peter