Peter Christensen wrote:
from Matej Cepl:

Let's try some testing:

1) open some webpage in Konqueror and print it out,
2) export some document from LyX to Postscript and then try in
  xterm 'kprinter nameoffile.ps'

If these tests fail, you have something wrong with CUPS. Make it
work and then return.

I can print a webpage in Konqueror, but am unable or unsure how to export from Lyx to Postscript. When I click on file (after creating a test document), then export, the following options are available: ASCII, DVI, Latex, and PDF.
I wonder if my installation is incomplete. To install I did an "apt-get install Lyx" (in Debian/Linux). I assumed that this would install everything that I needed to use Lyx. But according to the tutorial I should be able to click on view->DVI (after creating a test file), and a new window should pop up. Nothing happens.

The tutorial says I need a dvi viewer (e.g. xdvi) and a postscript converter (e.g. dvips). Perhaps they have to be installed separately? I searched the Debian packages and could not find xdvi or dvips.
Do you have gv (Ghostscript) installed?

Robin

--
"Do unto others what you would like others to do unto you. And have fun doing it."
- Linus Torvalds

Robin Turner
IDMYO,
Bilkent University