[posted and mailed]

Mark Carroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Sometimes when I include some XFig or EPS or something as a floating
> figure, then use LyX 1.1.6fix4 to export to PostScript, I get LaTeX
> errors about not being able to find the file or the bounding box and
> things.
>
> However, if I export to LaTeX, and then just use latex and dvips with
> no extra command line options beyond foo.tex and foo.dvi, it works
> fine.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what's going on? (-:
>
> BTW, is there a way to get export-to-PDF to pass options to ps2pdf? I
> want to use -dAutoFilterColorImages=false
> -dColorImageFilter=/FlateEncode to keep my images nice.
>
> Thanks,
>         Mark

Been there, done that.  When you use the view commands, LyX creates a
temp directory, writes out a TeX file (and I think stores copies of the
figures there), processes it through LaTeX and passes it to the viewer of
choice.  Assuming you exit LyX gracefully, on its way out the door it
cleans up that directory.

you use the File | Export menu item to export to Postscript, it does the
same thing (temp directory, run LaTeX, run the DVI file through dvips),
but then copies the Postscript output file to your working directory.
The problem is that the PS file contains links to the copies of the
graphics files that were in the temp directory (and presumably have since
been purged), not to the figure files in your working directory.  In
contrast, when you export a LaTeX file, there doesn't seem to be any
processing, hence no temp directory, hence the links point to the
original graphics files.

Regarding ps2pdf options, try Edit | Preferences, click the Conversion
tab, then the Converters tab, then Postscript->PDF and fiddle with the
Converter box.  (This works in LyX 1.2.2, but I'm pretty sure it's
unchanged from 1.1.6.)

-- Paul

Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone:    (517) 432-3509
Department of Management                       Fax:      (517) 432-1111
The Eli Broad Graduate School of Management    E-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Michigan State University
http://www.msu.edu/~rubin/
East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE