to tell you the truth, i just put it in a directory with other sty files.
its a small file, so i put it in a couple places, ran texhash and it went.
i never figured out the right place to put it.

mine are located here.  does windows have a .lyx?

sidious:/home/bobby# locate setspace.sty
/home/bobby/bobby/.lyx/kbd/setspace.sty
/home/bobby/bobby/.lyx/layouts/setspace.sty
/home/bobby/bobby/.lyx/reLyX/setspace.sty
/home/bobby/bobby/.lyx/setspace.sty
/home/bobby/bobby/.lyx/templates/setspace.sty
sidious:/home/bobby#

Have freedom, Be authentic, Put yourself
on the line, Define your own success.