Hello Chris,

I managed to compile and run LyX by downloading a newer version (3.2-46) of the gcc compiler suite (needs to be the 3.2 series since qt was also compiled with it).

I got them from

ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/gcc/8.1/

Downloaded all of them (except the source rpm) and installed. After this LyX compiled and runs nicely (used the qt frontend).

BTW, the regular download of SuSE 8.1 also includes a newer version than the one found on the stock CD/DVD distribution. It is not in the update section, so that's the reason why I overlooked it.

Happy now

Regards

Paul