I have read the chapterbib tip from the web but I have done what it says yet
still fail to get references at the end of each chapter.

I have 4 chapters and need 4 independent reference lists for these chapters.

I am using the chapterbib style and add the bibtex reference at the end of
each chapter.  I enter the names of the independent bibtex references as
appropriate.  When I preview the document, it APPEARS that my second chapter
is trying to use the bibliography file from the first chapter rather than its
own chapter.  I get a lot of question marks with a few reference numbers here
and there with high numbers (like 180, 182) when I should be getting a reset
numbering system for each chapter.

What is the trick here?  I have lyx 1.2.0 (I cannot at this time upgrade) on
Mandrake 8.2.  Can anyone help me out here?

This is my document's preamble:
\usepackage{chapterbib}
\usepackage{cite}

\makeatletter\def\@cite#1#2{({#1\if@tempswa , #2\fi})}
\def\@biblabel#1{#1.}
\let\oldthebibliography=\thebibliography
\renewcommand{\thebibliography}{%
   \makeatletter%
   \renewcommand{\section}[2]{}%
   \renewcommand\@mkboth[2]{}%
   \oldthebibliography}

\lhead{}
\chead{}
\rhead{\thepage}
\lfoot{}
\cfoot{}
\rfoot{}

\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0pt}

\newcommand\dna[1]{\leavevmode \begingroup
    \dnaZ #1\@empty}
\def\dnaZ #1#2{%
    #1%
     \ifx\@empty#2%
       \let\dnaZ\endgroup
    \else
       \dnaSpace \-%
    \fi
    \dnaZ #2%
}
\newcommand\dnaSpace{\nobreak\hspace{0pt plus .1pt}}
\hyphenation{mRNA}

- --
Conservatives of all times are adventitious liars.
- - Friedrich Nietzsche.