On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Stephen Cornell wrote:

| However, I'm stumped at how to insert correctly centred figure and table
| floats.  In older versions of Lyx (e.g. 1.1.6) one would do
| insert->floats->figure float, and then immediately choosing insert->figure
| would insert a figure that would appear above the caption and centred
| horizontally.  In 1.3, if I do insert->floats->figure, and then do
| insert->graphics, the figure is rendered on the same line as the caption in
| the Lyx gui,  and when I try to preview dvior PS I get an error of the form:

similar with lyx-1.1.6 but the figure is by default left alignment. You
can do a step like,
1. insert->floats->figure
2. type your caption in Figure: ------ then put the cursor in the first
   sentence of caption (that what I did)
3. insert->graphics
4. put the cursor left of the graph select command layout->paragraph
   toggle the centered alignment.

| "Argument of \@caption has an extra }.
|  ...946HvIigl/lyx_tmpbuf0/_home_cornell_Fig1}} ... "

I don't know...

| If I instead do insert->floats->figure float, and then hit return, I am
| able to insert a figure that appears above the caption, but is not
| centred.  Similarly, if I hit return after writing the caption, I can
| insert a figure after the caption, but not centred.

centering figures is setted by command layout->paragraph (default is
left).

| The same problem occurs with tables.  In fact, it also occurs if I try to
| create tables in 1.1.6 (though, as I said, figures work as I expect them to
| in that version of Lyx).  However, I'm pretty certain that things were
| different in older versions of Lyx, as I have old .lyx files with centred
| table floats.

similar with figure... default is left... use layout->paragraph command to
set the figures/tables to be centered.

| I strongly suspect that I'm missing something here.  Can anyone help
| out?

no... just different behavior, because you jump from 1.1.6 to 1.3 without
trying to use 1.2.x series, which very different from 1.1.x series.

Wayan