John Levon wrote:

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 03:30:29AM -0500, gavron wrote:

Item "Caption..." "layout Caption"

I wonder if this is possible..? I had tried using the keyword "Layouts" before this but lyx apprently only recognizes it in the "toolbar" section of the ui config file..

Well, if we had code for it, you could use OptItem. But we don't, so you can't.

I always remove toolbars & icons because I don't use a mouse and I find most icon sets non-standard & rather confusing.. hence in my case at least.. counter-productive.. I'm probably not the only one who lacks "intuition" since a lot of apps (lyx included) have tooltips or balloons for those of us who're happy w/ the latin alphabet & who'd rather get on with using the app rather than solving riddles ;-)

Another less opinionated reason is that GUI's in X tend to come in so many different colors, shapes, & sizes... that you end up w/ a desktop that looks rather untidy.. By choosing a "spartan" presentation where I can.. I end up with a more integrated & easier-to-manage look & feel.

Another annoying problem is that the accelerators (Alt_p-s for Standard - eg.) no longer work..! Alt-p opens the menu.. but then I have to

Add the accelerator by had, like this :

Item "Caption...|C" "layout Caption"

thanks..! will try this rightaway..

Does the qt GUI also have this feature..?

Which feature ?

the "styles" mini-window.. left of the toolbar.. in the xforms version.. it's something that takes a bit of getting used to.. somewhat like the "panner" in gv.. and some of the more ancient X GUIs.. I only use KDE apps occasionally and I've never seen anything quite like this mini-window.. actually I have a feeling that maybe opera has something a bit like it...

the GUI a simpler more homogeneous look & feel.. (?) the main reason is that I never use a pointing device unless I have to.. and I haven't found a way to open the styles' mini-window from the keyboard.

M-p <space>

perfect.. I guess I'm trying to learn too fast and I just missed that one..

come to think of it I may stick w/ the default.ui (minus the icons).. because on second thoughts this "mini-window" as I call it.. is more of an improvement over a pull down menu since it provides the same capability but has the added value of serving as a mini status-bar w/ its contents visible at all times w/o having to open it..

I must say that I am so very happy with how customizable LyX is.. and how easy it is.. that I got carried away a bit w/ this.. But then that's probably the best way to RTFM..??

Thanks a bunch for precious advice.. and your patience w/ novices like meself..

Chris.